About Environment New Jersey
Who We Are
Environment New Jersey is a citizen-based environmental advocacy project of Environment America. We believe there’s something special about New Jersey — something worth protecting and preserving for future generations. Whether it's relaxing at Cape May, playing Frisbee at Great Swamp, or hiking through our northern mountains, New Jersey's natural wonders enrich our lives in countless ways. Yet the places we love and the environmental values so many of us share are too often threatened by powerful industries, shortsighted politicians and more. Defending our environment requires independent research, tough-minded advocacy and spirited grassroots action.
That’s the idea behind Environment New Jersey. Together with thousands of supporters from all walks of life, we take the kind of action that wins tangible results for our environment.
FIND OUT MORE
Environment New Jersey Research & Policy Center
What We Do
Funded by supporters like you, we research the challenges confronting our environment and educate the public about what’s at stake. Through our research reports, news conferences, interviews with reporters, op-ed pieces, letters to the editor and more, we raise awareness of environmental issues and promote sensible solutions. Our canvassers meet people where they are — in public places or door to door — raising awareness, recruiting new supporters and activists, and raising funds to support our work.
When decisions are being made about our environment, our elected officials hear plenty from the oil companies, developers and other powerful interests. We make the case for our environment and help people like you make your voice heard, through petitions, emails, letters, phone calls and more, all delivered to the right people just when it matters most.
Become a member
Join thousands of your friends and neighbors in protecting our air, water and open spaces by becoming a member of Environment New Jersey through our monthly giving program or by making a one-time contribution today.
The charts below represent the combined financial information of Environment New Jersey and the Environment New Jersey Research & Policy Center.
Your support is making a real difference. Together, we are ...
- Tackling global warming. Together, we’ve made hard-won progress in the race to protect our children from the worst consequences of global warming. This past June, after more than 3 million Americans, including many New Jerseyans, urged President Obama to act on climate, the Environmental Protection Agency proposed a rule to limit carbon pollution from power plants — the single largest source of global warming pollution.
- Protecting the Jersey Shore. Alongside our national federation, we've rallied more than 250,000 Americans to call on the EPA to close the Clean Water Act loopholes that have left hundreds of marshes and streams along the Shore at risk. This spring, they finally answered our call by proposing a rule to restore these critical protections. This could be the largest victory for clean water in more than a decade.
- Keeping fracking waste away from New Jersey. When drilling companies tried to dump fracking waste into our waterways, including some of the 1.2 billion gallons of benzene-laden, heavy metal-ridden, highly toxic and even radioactive wastewater from Pennsylvania, we jumped into action to make sure this toxic water wouldn’t end up in our rivers. We won a ban on fracking waste in the Legislature but came just short of passing the bill when the governor vetoed it.
- Growing wind power. As fiscal cliff negotiations stalled toward the end of last year, crucial federal incentives for clean, renewable wind power were in danger of being eliminated. Environment New Jersey called on Congress to extend these incentives. And in the 11th hour, we succeeded. President Obama and congressional leaders agreed to extend these critical incentives, ensuring the continued growth of wind power in New Jersey.
- Defending the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initative. When Gov. Christie moved to kill the important Regional Greenhouse Gas Initative program and remove New Jersey, we united tens of thousands of New Jerseyans, took the governor to court, and won a major legal victory.
- To learn more about our results and the impact your support has on New Jersey's environment click here.